Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Simple + Thrifty Valentine's Day Ideas


Today, we had a little crafty fun!  I picked up some pipe-cleaners in the $1 section of Target, so we twisted and hooked lots of little hearts together....

to create the festive garland pictured below.  I love decorations that our people had a "hand" in.  They make me smile. Anything that adds color and life to our home, but costs little or nothing to create is right up our alley.  

The garland hangs across the entertainment cabinet in the living room.  I need to remember that pipe cleaners are such a great way to entertain.  Pretty sure that we spent close to an hour doodling with these things.  You may have noticed,  we still have our Christmas card gallery in-tact.  I can't bear to take them down yet!

 While I'm on the topic of simple Valentines day fun...how 'bout a few pics from last year's festivities?  

This one was a Pinterest idea that the kids LOVED.  Heart-shaped, hard boiled eggs!  Click here for an easy how-to.  Instead of a juice container, I used a cut-up piece of paper plate.  Instead of a chopstick, I used a wooden kabob skewer.  


Last year, we began a new tradition.  I had the kids pose with this paper heart and emailed the picture to close friends and family.  


 This one was another Pinterest idea, but I can't seem to find the source.  Give your kids a "heart attack" this Valentine's day:


I cut up lots of hearts (a different color for each child) and jotted down an affirming word or phrase on each one.  The kids loved them so much  that we transferred the hearts to their closets where they remain at this very moment.  :)  A little encouragment goes a long way.


These little mailboxes were so super-simple to make.  Target dollar section mailboxes, glued to wooden spray painted candlesticks from Salvation Army.  Total cost:  $5!  The kids have really enjoyed surprising each other with little love notes throughout the day.



We all pitched in on this little project.  Tissue paper hearts:  wrap tissue squares around  the pencil eraser, dip in glue, and press onto heart, repeat...again and again. 



Here's our photo wall all dolled up for V-day last year.   Gobstoppers in the mason jars.  Handmade Valentine's for each family member from Reece.  Millie's is covered in dried oatmeal, she loved it so much!  :)



A special valentine for my love...waiting in the sock drawer for his discovery, ha!



Last year we had breakfast for dinner (by candlelight) and these waffles were a hit.  First,  I poured a little batter into a sauce cup.  Then I  added a couple drops of pink food coloring, drew it up into a medicine dropper,  and squirted it gently into a  "heart" shape in the waffle iron base.  I let it sit for a 10 seconds or so, to firm up and then added the plain batter, as usual.  Voila!  Valentine waffles!  



I'd love to know. What is your favorite Valentine's day treat or tradition?

Linking up here:

the vanilla tulip- thrifty thoughts 

8 comments:

  1. Sarah! I LOVE THIS POST!! Okay... the eggs are too awesome:) Definitely going to do this for valentines day!
    When you get a second would you e-mail me? I tried to reply to your comment but it was a "no-reply" blogger. My e-mail is thevanillatulip (at)yahoo (dot) com
    Hope your day has been a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your link on Ashley's blog... :) Love these ideas! We did the mailboxes last year, but didn't put them on posts! So cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, seriously????? You have nine million cute valentine's day ideas! :-) I have been wanting to try the "heart" eggs for a while! :-) LOVE that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all such great ideas!!!! I love every one of them! I'm going to pin them for sure! Love LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!

    Happy to find you through TVT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these ideas! I will definitely be trying some out this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh.................I am loving, loving, loving ALL of these ideas. I must bookmark this for later! SO SO SO cute:) LOVE!!! New follower. I am so glad I stopped by from the Vanilla Tulip:) xoxoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm visiting from The Vanilla Tulip; what great ideas. I love all of the kid-made decorations! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete