Sunday, December 9, 2012

Blessings + favorites

This morning, I caught a glimpse of this:
and it took my breath away.  

How many moments, like Mary, mother of Jesus, have I treasured up all these things and pondered them in my heart?  (Luke 2:19)  More than I can count!  It's one of the many things I love about recording our memories here on this blog.  These memories are a treasure, a gift from the Lord.  

I'm not raising the "savior" but raising a child is hard, holy, precious work.  The other night, Dan said, while watching the kids, "I'm trying my best to engrain this moment into my memory."  I smiled and laughed!  I couldn't have said it better!  I feel that way hourly, it seems.  Even in the hard moments of mothering, it seems that God ,in his rich mercy, provides perspective and grace.  I know that these precious moments with our children are just a blink in time...in the span of their lives.  What a privilege to witness the making of these future man and women. 

That candle is one of my favorites!  It is some type of fresh pine scent from Mrs. Meyers brand.  I burn it from morning till night.


I think Trader Joe's makes the YUMMIEST semi-sweet chocolate chips!  I've been enjoying them   all by their yummy little selves, but I can't wait to load up some homemade cookie mix with these bad boys and some pecans, too!


My favorite Pandora station "George Winston (holiday)" plays all. day. long. in our living room.


I discovered "kits" this week at our public library.  Each day, for the first thirty minutes of quiet time, Graham reads his chapter book (currently reading "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever") I lay down with Camille for the first part of her nap, and I've needed something "independent" for Reecie-our beginning reader.  I was looking for the old school tapes with books at the library, but these are even better! She LOVES following along with the books on cd and it makes her feel so big to have her cd walkman and headphones on.


We have been working on memorizing Exodus 20 with a song and hand motions this semester in Classical Conversations.  I put the self-timer on my camera to work so that I can remember these precious moments with our children!  I didn't notice at the time, but the way Reecie is helping Camille with her motions makes my heart just ache with love for them!

I feel like this Christmas/advent season, I am moving slower, enjoying the ordinary, savoring these moments more than I ever have before.  I'm just so grateful for God's grace and the opportunity to set a comfortable pace.  No rushing, no hustle and bustle, no unrealistic expectations on myself or on the kids.  For me, this has been one of the greatest blessings in our home school journey so far.  Pacing ourselves.  Being intentional.  Not feeling the constant external pressure to be, do, and fulfill obligations.  I am a happier, more content person, and I think it is making a difference in the way that I nurture and love our children.  So thankful for these people God has entrusted to Dan and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment